Monday, April 2, 2012

The Consequence Jar

"I can't do this...its too haaarrrdddd...."
"I don't want to get in my pajamas..."

We've all got whiners. Some more than others. I have one child that could win awards for his whining skills. I have tried time outs and more recently pulling privileges or special snacks. I find that I get really fed up with it if he's having a particularly whiny day. To some extent I understand whining. I don't want to clean the house and if I had someone to whine to, I just might, but when its a daily practice, an HOURLY practice, it needs to be curbed. So my futile attempts were made.

Now meet the consequence jar. Sitting on the counter in the kitchen, looking quite innocent. Inside are consequences for whining, or not doing chores, or bad attitudes...its really quite effective. And humorous at times. For example, one item says "clean the glass on the back door while singing a song" another says "hop on one foot while getting the mail" then the more serious..."scrub the toilet" or "sweep the front porch"  There are even some "grace" cards. Grace meaning, they get this incident free(no chore)but you never know what will happen next time.
I typed up a sheet of them and folded the slips of paper and put them in a glass jar on the counter. Its waiting for the first infraction...and within minutes we have one. He pulls a piece of paper from the jar and is told to "hand wash the dishes." Since its between meals he gets off easy with only about 6 items, but he starts to put up a fuss. I tell him if he would like to pull a second slip from the jar to keep on talking.

And there is silence.

So far, this has been very effective... :-)


Here are some other examples:

Empty recycling can in pantry
Rub mommy or daddy’s feet for 10 minutes
Clean your room
Wipe down upstairs bathroom floor
Clean a glass on back door while singing a song.
Clean out silverware drawer
Remove the magnets and pictures and wipe down outside of fridge.
Do 25 sit ups while singing "I will not _______ anymore" really loud.(fill in infraction for that time)
You have been given Grace
Vacuum garage floor mats
Scrub upstairs bathtub
Empty all garbage cans
Fold 10 pairs of socks
Sweep front porch.
Sweep back porch.
Clean out your closet
Dust living room
Wipe off railings on front porch
You have been given Grace
Write “I will not _______” on a sheet of paper 50 times(fill in infraction for that time)
Do 25 push ups while singing "I will not _______ anymore" really loud.(fill in infraction for that time)
Run around the house 3 times and pick 20 dandelion flowers for the chickens.
Wipe all the wood railings on the chairs in the kitchen and under the table
Wipe all the wood railings on the chairs in the dining room and under the table
While hopping on one foot, go get the mail.
Choose 2 items of yours to donate to Goodwill.
Vacuum your bedroom
Hand wash dirty dishes
Scrub your toilet while singing “I love to clean when I am misbehaving”
Pick up backyard putting all sticks in the burn pile
Pick up frontyard putting all sticks in the burn pile

No comments: