Monday, May 24, 2010

How to Make Deodorant

I have tried many "safe" deodorants along the way; striving to find one that actually works AND has words I can pronounce. Its not an easy task. I have even considered the deodorant stones that are out there. Not just any stone mind you as now everyone is in on that market and you can get man-made deodorant crystals made from the very substances you were trying to avoid. I experimented with home made products as well. Intrigued by the powders that people claim to use, but never fully happy with the results or the powder floating all over the place. A dear friend of mine uses a similar recipe but adds coconut oil to the mix giving you a cream or salve-like texture. This intrigued me. I could deal with that and if I could find a recipe I like, perhaps I could pour it into an old deodorant stick and have an applicator to boot!
The recipe I ended up with is below. Its simple to make and it works. I apply a pea-sized amount to each underarm each morning. It works. I am pretty sensitive to smells, so if I stunk even the slightest bit, I wouldn't use it. I do not like body odor at all. So far, I have no complaints. Once it is in an applicator, its just like any other deodorant. You can put it in a jar and remove some with your fingers. You may find that using the 92 degree coconut oil is too hard. If so, scrape a little off to apply with a popsicle stick or a spoon. Then apply with your fingers. Other than a change of how you do it, it works quite the same.

Here's the first recipe:

1/3 cup coconut oil(92 degree), melted
3-5 T baking soda
4-5 T corn starch or arrowroot powder
10 drops of essential oil(I used lavender)*

Mix together the baking soda and corn starch in a small bowl. Add the coconut oil and mix well. Add the essential oils and you can also add 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil if desired. Mix well and pour into an empty deodorant applicator or into a small jar with a tight fitting lid and wide mouth. Allow to cool. Use daily as directed above.

Here's the second recipe:

1/3 cup coconut oil(76 degree)
3-5 T baking soda
4-5 T corn starch or arrowroot powder
10 drops of essential oil(I used lavender)

Mix together the baking soda and arrowroot in a small bowl. Add the coconut oil and using a pastry blender, mix well. Should be a crumbly mixture that melts when it comes in contact with your skin. Add the essential oils if desired and you can also add a 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil if desired. Mix well and keep in a small jar with a tight fitting lid and wide mouth. Use daily as directed above.



Let me know how you like it. If you try another essential oil, tell me about it. I picked lavender because I love the scent and because it has some anti-bacterial properties in it. I thought it would help fight odor causing bacteria and also prevent the deodorant from spoiling in the jar. The vitamin E oil was suggested by another friend for healthier skin. You may find you can raise or lower the baking soda, which is the active ingredient in the deodorant. My skin is somewhat sensitive, so I settled on the amount above, but it caused a rash when my mother tried it.

*Essential oil is not necessary and if your skin is sensitive, I recommend avoiding it.

No comments: