Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rainy Days

In the spring, I am usually VERY busy planting and tending to the garden in addition to wrapping up our school year and preparing for canning season. On the days when it is raining, I usually bake quite a bit so that I can "get ahead" for the days when I am outside in the garden all day. The last rainy day we had I decided it was time to use up the shredded zucchini I had in my deep freeze. When I run out of ambition to use the abundant green squash, I pull out my trusty food processor and shred it. I bag 2 cup portions in the economical freezer bags, squeeze out the air, tie them off and then fill the pricier gallon ziplocs with up to 8 of these ready-made zucchini balls.  The two cup portions are perfect for quite a few recipes that I have in my file folder. I made two loaves of chocolate zucchini bread and two loaves of pineapple zucchini bread on Tuesday and I wanted to share that recipe since its such a yummy one.

Pineapple Zucchini Bread
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup melted coconut oil
3 1/2 cups freshly ground wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup raisins
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained




Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8x4" loaf pans. Set aside.
Combine eggs, honey, vanilla, coconut oil in a large bowl and mix well. Pour in flour, salt and baking soda and powder and mix well. Do not over mix though. Once you have a smooth batter, incorporate zucchini, pineapple and raisins, distributing everything well, but again, not over mixing. Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

No comments: