Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rebates

While I'm on the subject of rebates, I thought I would mention that rebates truly are a great source of "income" in today's economy. Whenever I am walking through the grocery store, I keep my eyes open for rebates. Usually on special displays, pads of rebates are available with a required purchase. A lot of alcohol rebates do not require a purchase of alcohol, so I usually find the best rebates near the beer aisles. The rebate might be for $6 off meat, or $5 off a deli tray. If you have purchased that item, you can mail in the receipt and the form and get a check back in about 6-8 weeks.
This is why I save all my receipts from the store. I keep them in a file folder for several months. When I happen to find a rebate form, I look through my receipts to find one that fits the rebate. Today I mailed out 6 different forms. I will get back about $40 in rebates. Most of what I purchased was on sale and with coupons, which further multiplies my savings. The rebates come back almost like little Christmas presents throughout the year. Its definitely worth your time if you follow these simple steps:


  1. Keep all receipts from all your shopping
  2. When you fill out a form, copy the form and receipt (and any required UPC's) so you have pertinent contact information.
  3. Make sure you follow all instructions on the form
  4. Write when you mailed the form on the copy and file this with your bills.
  5. Periodically check on the status of rebates. If it has been 8 weeks and you don't have your check, call them. If you get the check, remove the sheet from your files so you know you got the money.
  6. If you get notified that you did not qualify, call them. The number is usually on the form you mailed in and should be on your copy. 9 times out of 10, by calling, I get the rebate check anyway.


I would say the hardest thing about finding rebates these days is the number of people that take the entire pad and resell them. This makes it very difficult to find rebates sometimes. I find it extremely selfish and just like other unethical methods of couponing, will eventually result in everyone being punished for the deeds of a few. If you find a rebate, take one for yourself and maybe one for a friend or to trade, but please don't take the entire pad. Let others enjoy the pleasures of rebating as much as you do.

No comments: