Saturday, December 3, 2011

How to Make Powdered Sugar

Powdered sugar is one of those ingredients that you can't really substitute. I have been to the store many times to get some for a recipe in the past because I didn't have enough to make my frosting or enough to dust my chocolate cake. I never really thought much of it.
Since we moved to healthier sugars and tend to use organic rapadura or evaporated cane juice, the stakes go up. You don't pop into your local grocery store and pick up a bag of organic powdered sugar. You also don't find it without cornstarch(typically GMO), the ingredient used to keep it from caking up and it costs a small fortune if you can find it.
So, I decided to make it myself.

Ingredients:
1 cup of evaporated cane sugar
1 T of arrowroot powder(or other starch to prevent caking)
Blender
evaporated cane juice and arrowroot

powdered sugar

How Tos:
Place your sugar and arrowroot in the blender. Cap the blender and set on high. You will see the powdered sugar move to the surface and the granulated sugar drop to the bottom as it processes. It takes about 10 minutes to get a fine powder for frosting, but less time if you just need some for making muddy buddies or lemon chex. You can use it immediately. I have not tried making it with Sucanat. You may need more arrowroot to absorb the moisture from the molasses and honey, but it would work the same way. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments: